I found a copy of Angelina Ballerina's Invitation to the Ballet today while at Costco, and bought a copy for myself and my niece since her birthday is coming up and she's started ballet lessons (partially due to the fact I, myself, did ballet when I was younger than she is now). I found it incredibly charming, and I'm very happy with the little inserts it comes with. Tactile materials are always appreciated in children's books, of course, and I am going to proudly display my signed Serena Silvertail poster on my walls.
I will say, I'm quite surprised I found this book. Partially because I've never actually seen an Angelina Ballerina book in person, and partially because it was apparently published in 2003. Or, that's what Goodreads claims. But all of the copyright information in the two copies I have purchased are dated to 2025, so what do I know?
With all of that said and done, here is my traditional Goodreads review of the book:
Angelina Ballerina's Invitation to the Ballet by Katharine HolabirdMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
My review was mostly what I stated above, but I also pointed out how the interactive elements of this book, which come in the forms of letters/cards/etc. mailed to different characters, seems like such a nice way to introduce children to epistolary/multimedia elements in fiction.
I also included some photos:

View all of my book reviews
Bonus!
On the topic of Angelina Ballerina, here is a video about her and the history of her brand that I quite like, as well as an interview with her illustrator, Helen Craig, that I have re-watched several times. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a little ballerina mouse.
No comments:
Post a Comment